Local News

Panic in Osun as Coronavirus patients escape from the isolation centre; govt reacts

There was a scenario in Osun State residents and environs as six persons who tested positive have reportedly escaped from the isolation centre at Gedu in Ejigbo area of the state.

The six patients belong to a cluster of COVID-19 cases who recently returned to the state from Ivory Coast.

Upon their return to Nigeria on Saturday, March 28, 2020, Osun state government immediately isolated the travelers at Gedu in Ejigbo.

But six of them escaped from the isolation centre on Friday night.

An official who spoke to newsmen said the state government has launched a manhunt for the patients.

Below are the names of the six persons with their phone numbers and addresses, as sent to Newsflash247 by a source.

1. LAWAL Waliyulah, Masifa Ejigbo, 08063691573

2. LASISI Murafat, Olugbodi’s compd Ejigbo, +22505368845. C/o Ganiyat Alabi, 08075441187

3. Yusuff Afees, Ile Alawe, Ejigbo, 07011196193

4. Isola Abibat, Ile Olori, Ejigbo, 08055905010

5. Nua Oyeleye, Ile Jesu, Oguro Ejigbo, 08109375276

6. Juel Olasupo, Ile Baale Ejigbo, 08149584397

Meanwhile, the Osun state government has described as untrue, reports that six persons who tested positive for coronavirus escaped from one of the isolation centres in the state.

In a statement, Funke Egbemode, commissioner for information, said a headcount which was conducted on Saturday morning, showed that only one person could not be accounted for.

Some of the 127 returnees from Ivory Coast had been isolated while 22 of them tested positive for Coronavirus. There were reports that six of them escaped from the isolation centre.

But Ismail Omipidan, chief press secretary to the governor, had earlier told newsmen that the true situation of things would be known after a headcount at the centre in the Ejigbo are of the state.

Hours after Omipidan spoke, Egbemode issued a statement, asking the public to disregard news making the rounds that six people had escaped from isolation.

“Our attention has been drawn to a story purporting that six persons were missing from our Isolation centre in Ejigbo. One of the writers quoted a non-existent statement from the government to lend some measure of credibility to the story,” the statement read.

“Nothing can be further from the truth. As a government, we have not issued any statement to confirm or deny such story. Besides, a quick check showed that the name and number of the first person on the list of the purported missing patients, is indeed currently in our facility in Ejigbo.

“Recall that about a week ago, we received 127 returnees from Ivory Coast and we have kept them since then to avoid community transfer of the virus.

“This morning we embarked on a headcount and found out that only one person could not be accounted for by officials stationed at the Isolation centre out of the 127 persons. The State Government is currently investigating the matter and will ensure that the missing person is brought back to the Isolation centre and we will also ensure we trace all his contacts.

“We implore members of the public to discountenance the alarm being raised. We will continue to do everything to protect the lives of our citizens in this fight against Coronavirus.”

There are unconfirmed reports that while six persons escaped, three were traced while two are on their way back to the camp.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.
Tags

Victor Akande

Victor Akande, a blogger by profession for the past 7 years. He studied Mathematics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Contact: +2348053316946 Twitter: @Newsflash2471

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

six ÷ = 2

Back to top button
Close
Close