Fayemi

We Won’t Respond To Your Query – Ekiti Monarchs Tell Fayemi

The most 16 prominent Traditional rulers in Ekiti States, popularly known as “Pelupelu Obas” have said, they will not respond to the query issued to them by the State government, in which they were asked to respond to within 72 hours.

Source gathered that the Pelupelu Obas held an emergency meeting at the palace of Ewi of Ado Ekiti, Oba Rufus Adejugbe on Wednesday night, where they agreed not to respond to the query by the state government.

Source said Fayemi had already stopped payments due to them from the local governments.

Newsflash247 had earlier reported that a query was issued to the 16 Ekiti Monarchs, giving them 72 hours to explain why they should not be removed for shunning government functions since August 2019.

The query dated March 11, 2020, was signed on behalf of the Permanent Secretary, Bureau of Chieftaincy Affairs by Mr. A. O. Adeoye.

The letter was titled “Re: Absence from state functions and council of traditional rulers’ monthly meetings.”

It reads; “It had come to the attention of Mr. Governor that Your Royal Majesty has not been attending the monthly statutory meeting of the State Council of Traditional Rulers and State official functions since August 2019.

“Your conspicuous absence at the Council meetings and State official functions, without any excuse or justification is considered inimical to the proper administration of the chieftaincy institution you represent.

“Therefore, Mr Governor has directed that Your Royal Majesty should forward your representation for this inaction through this office within 72 hours on the receipt of this letter.”

Fayemi Gives 72 hours to 16 Ekiti Monarchs to respond queries

Recall that the sixteen most prominent traditional rulers in Ekiti State, the Pelupelu Obas, had sued Governor Fayemi, challenging his appointment of the Alawe of Ilawe Ekiti, Oba Adebanji Alabi, as chairman of the State Traditional Council.

The 16 most prominent monarchs, popularly referred to as the Pelupelu Obas described the appointment of Alawe of Ilawe, outside the 16 Obas called Alademerindinlogin to occupy the exalted seat of the Chairman of the traditional council, as a clear violation of the Ekiti State Chieftaincy Law.

The monarchs, in the suit with registration number HAD/76/2019, filed before an Ado Ekiti High Court, are seeking nullification of the appointment, saying the governor’s action of picking someone outside the 16 obas as chairman was “a violation of the Ekiti State Chieftaincy Law.”

In an originating summon filed by Dr. B.A.M. Ajibade (SAN) on August 7, 2019 and deposed to by Ajero of Ijero, Oba Joseph Adewole, on behalf of other 15 obas, the monarchs are seeking an interlocutory injunction restraining Fayemi from swearing-in Alawe as the chairman of the council.

Respondents in the suit are: Governor Fayemi (1st), the Attorney General of Ekiti State, Wale Fapohunda (2nd) and Oba Alabi (3rd).

Fayemi was said to have offered for out of court settlement of the matter and demanded that the Obas should withdraw their suit.

However, the Obas declined, opting that the matter be resolved first and the case withdrawn after the settlement.

Source: Wazobia Reporters

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.

Leave a Reply

÷ one = seven

|
Contact Us| Privacy Policy |About Us | Terms|Disclaimer |Advertise