The Ekiti State government on Monday, April 27, has announced that two children were among the four persons who tested positive for COVID-19, otherwise known as Coronavirus in the state at the weekend.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, made this announcement on Monday in Ado Ekiti, the state capital while giving an update on Coronavirus pandemic situation in the state.
Yaya Kolade said the two children were among the four contacts of the 45-year-old medical doctor who contracted the disease from a patient, who is now dead, that he conducted surgery on.
She said, “In the four new cases, there are two children of ages 10 and 9 who must have contracted it through the 45-year old doctor, who was the only active case in the state before the new cases.
“They are all in the state isolation centre. They are responding, doing well, stable and in high spirit.”
The commissioner said the state government had started tracing their 58 contacts, adding, “Samples have been taken and results are being awaited while the contacts tracing also continues.”
She allayed fears of community transmission of COVID-19, saying, “We know where the contacts are from.”
Meanwhile, Newsflash247 had earlier reported that Nigeria on Monday night, April 27, had recorded another 64 new cases of Covid-19, in four states and Abuja, the country capital, bringing the total number of confirmed infections in the country to 1337 and 40 deaths.
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), made the announcement on Monday night, on its official Twitter account.
On the 27th of April 2020, 64 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were recorded in Nigeria. Till date, 1337 cases have been confirmed, 255 cases have been discharged and 40 deaths have been recorded in Nigeria.