Local News

NYSC suddenly ends orientation camp activities over Coronavirus fears

As a way of curbing the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic currently ravaging nations across the world, the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has suddenly ended activities at orientation camps across the country.

The Batch A orientation camps for graduates started last week, March 10, and were supposed to last for 21 days.

Corps members in the camps were; however, shocked when they were told in the middle of the night that the camps had closed and they were all to receive their letters to places of primary assignment.

The corps members said they were told this was due to the coronavirus crisis.

Newsflah247 gathered the report from one of the serving corps members in Ekiti said that the NYSC made the announcement to the corpers at the parade ground on Wednesday morning.

The corps member said the order came from the NYSC headquarters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The corpers were told to leave the camp immediately after receiving their letters to their places of primary assignments and transport allowance.

We started receiving letters to our places of primary assignment at about 1a.m. today, a corps member serving in Gombe said.

Another serving in Plateau said they started receiving theirs very early on Wednesday.

The decision may have been influenced by yesterday’s resolution of the presidential task force that large public gatherings should be discouraged across the country.

The task force also banned foreign trips for public officials but did not restrict travels to Nigeria from countries with high cases of coronavirus.

It only said travellers from such countries would be on self-quarantine for 14 days during which they would be monitored.

The 11-member task force headed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, announced its resolutions Tuesday night after a meeting in Abuja.

The virus has killed over 7000 persons globally and three cases have been confirmed in Nigeria, although no death has been recorded

The disease has killed over 7,000 people globally, mainly in China, Italy, Iran and South Korea.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.
Tags

Victor Akande

Victor Akande, a blogger by profession for the past 7 years. He studied Mathematics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Contact: +2348053316946 Twitter: @Newsflash2471

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

thirty two ÷ 4 =

Back to top button
Close
Close