Local News

Lockdown: Securities Orders Journalists, Health Workers to sit down on the road in Ekiti

Following the Governor Kayode Fayemi government’s directive to lockdown the Ekiti State for another 14 days in order to battle the spread of Covid-19, otherwise known Coronavirus, the securities on Thursday night, has ordered Health workers and journalists to sit down on the road in Ado Ekiti, the state capital despite presenting  their identity card to them.

Fayemi had, on April 13, ordered the lockdown for another period of 14 days to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic in the state.

He announced total shut down of the state and as well imposed 12-hour dusk-to-dawn curfew until Monday, April 27.

The governor said this was to curb the spread of coronavirus in the state.

As of that day, Ekiti had 2 COVID-19 cases with one death, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

But as of Thursday night, Coronavirus cases in Nigeria had increased to 442 with 13 deaths in the country after fresh 35 cases were recorded in the country. The cases were recorded in 19 states and the FCT.

While 152 patients had been discharged, thirteen had died as of Thursday night.

Lagos, FCT, Kano and Osun had the highest number of cases at 251, 67, 21 and 20 respectively. Edo had 15, Oyo (13), Ogun (9), Kastina (7), Bauchi (6), Kaduna (6), Akwa Ibom (6), Kwara (4), Delta (4), and Ondo (3).

Enugu, Ekiti, Rivers and Niger had two cases each.

Benue and Anambra had one case each.

Meanwhile, a staff of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) has cried out after allegedly being brutalized by soldiers of the 32 Artillery Brigade, Owena Cantonment in Akure, Ondo State who were effecting a lockdown order issued by  Rotimi Akeredolu, the state governor.

The Engineer who disclosed that the incident occurred at Ondo Road where the NTA and the Barracks are located, said all his plea stating he was on his way home from the office fell on deaf ears even after he presented his ID card.

Mr Jide Bello hinted on suing the Nigerian Army and the Ondo State government for the alleged harassment, after subjecting himself to 14 days isolation.

He wrote;

 “My unfortunate experience tonight in the hands of Nigerian army along Ondo road after the evening news at exactly 1950hrs in the name of curfew declared by Ondo state government led by Mr. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu .

“They asked for my identification in which I obliged but education is key in any field we belong, very unfortunate the military man could not understand what I mean by NTA and could not read anything from the I.D card but thank God for a superior officer that later intervened and begged me but am looking out to sue Nigerian army and Oñdo State government for harassment”.

“Am hereby subjecting myself to 14days isolation because I don’t know what they might done to my health”.

Newsflash247 Nigeria

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.
Tags

Ilesanmi Adekanbi

Ilesanmi Adekanbi is a Journalist by profession. He has been working in the Nigeria media industry for the past 6 years. He holds several professional certificates. contact me on email: [email protected]

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− two = 5

Back to top button
Close
Close