The Kano State governor, Umar Ganduje, said the state has applied for a N15 billion supports from the Federal Government, to fight the Coronavirus pandemic in the state.
Ganduje said this during Channels Television programme, ‘Politics Today’ on Wednesday night.
The governor revealed that the state had not received financial support from the Federal Government to fight the COVID-19 disease since the state recorded its first index case of the virus.
The state’s COVID-19 cases are rising, as it has now recorded 73 in just over a week.
Ganduje had last week declared a lockdown, to curb the spread of the virus within the state.
The governor explained that the N15 billion will be expended in paying voluntary health workers engaged by the state, to support the health personnel, purchase personal protective equipment (PPE), and the creation of other testing centres.
“You can understand that Kano is the most populated in the country hence the only testing centre at AKTH is not enough for us,” Ganduje added.
However, reacting to the reported mass death in the state, the governor denied the report.
It had been reported on social media, that more than 150 persons had died in three days from an undisclosed circumstance.
But Ganduje said the figure is false. The Presidential Task force on COVID-19, on Wednesday, announced an investigation into the reported death, so as to ascertain the actual cause and the number of deaths.
Osagie Ehanire, the Health Minister, announced this at the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja, noting that the task force is waiting for the arrival of its epidemiologists.
However, Ganduje said an investigation conducted by his government at some of the burial grounds, discovered that only 13 people had died, and not the figure quoted by the media.