A former Nigerian’s Defence Minister and the former Governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso, on Wednesday, March 11 has revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari ordered Governor Ganduje to remove Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi.
Recall that Emir Sanusi was dethroned on early hours of Monday over alleged disrespect to the office of the governor and other government agencies.
The Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Usman Alhaji, said the removal was with immediate effect.
He said the emir’s action violated the part 3 section A-E of Kano state law, hence the removal. He said the removal was in line with consultation with relevant stakeholders.
The state government immediately named one of the sons of late Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, Aminu Ado Bayero the 15th Fulani Emir of the state.
Meanwhile, Kwankwaso made the allegation while describing the removal of Sanusi as a sad incident to both Kano State and Nigeria in general.
Speaking with BBC Hausa, the former governor who appointed Sanusi as the 14th Emir of Kano in 2014 said contrary to claims Buhari had intervened in the Kano emirate crisis.
He said: “We believe here in Kano that Buhari interferes where he wishes.
“Kano state government officials have been saying they were directed to dethrone Mr Sanusi ll. Buhari instructed them.”
The former governor stated that Buhari “doesn’t interfere where his intervention is needed, but interferes on issues he is supposed to be neutral about.”
Eulogizing the dethroned monarch, Kwankwaso said: “the emir (Sanusi) is a global citizen.”
Also, Newsflash247 had earlier reported that a former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, expressed doubt that President Muhammadu Buhari had intervened to save the former Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II from dethronement by the Kano State Government.
Abdulsalami Abubakar was the chairman of the reconciliation committee set up by the presidency to intervene and proffer solution to the protracted feud between the Emir and the governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje.
In an interview with Voice of America Hausa Service, Mr Abubakar said his committee did its best by organizing a separate meeting with the governor and the emir, then a meeting with the committee and the parties and finally left the governor and the emir to discuss.
“After conclusion of the assignment, we realised that there was amicable resolution to the crisis. Surprisingly, this is what happened at last,” he said.
Asked by the interviewer whether the committee had achieved its mandate, the former military ruler said: “Well, I can say so in view of the latest development. In my view, all the committee’s efforts are wasted.”
On President Muhammadu Buhari’s alleged nonchalance to the crisis, he said: “I can’t really say whether Buhari has a hand in the matter because I am currently not in Nigeria. But before I left the country, we submitted our report to him, and he expressed willingness to intervene in the matter in order to have amicable resolution, despite being a constitutional matter. I really don’t know if he had intervened.”
Asked whether it was the president’s silence that led to the emir’s dethronement, Mr Abubakar said: “Well, as I have said, I don’t know whether he intervened or not. But if he actually intervened, I will be surprised if we would find ourselves in this situation”.