Local News

Broadband Penetration: Fayemi Crashes Right Of Way Charges From N4,500 to N145 Per Meter In Ekiti

Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi, on Thursday, May 14, has signed an Executive Order reducing the Right of Way charges related to laying broadband or any other telecommunications infrastructures from N4,500 to N145 per meter, in a bold and pioneering move to make Ekiti State the knowledge and innovation capital of Nigeria.

Ekiti State government made announcement on its Twitter on Thursday, saying, ” BREAKING NEWS Broadband Penetration: Governor Fayemi @kfayemi crashes Right of Way charges from N4,500 to N145 per meter in Ekiti State”.

Ekiti is the first state in Nigeria to comply with the NEC approved Right of Way charges for broadband thus becoming the cheapest state for broadband infrastructure investment as 1km of cable will now cost just N145,000 as against N4.5m previously.

This Executive Order is part of the ongoing reforms by the Ease of Doing Business project inaugurated by the Governor last year to improve indices that will make Ekiti State an attractive destination for national and international investments in 5 years.

According to the Special Adviser Investment, Trade and Innovations, Mr Akin Oyebode, this decision will ensure Ekiti achieves full broadband penetration by 2021 to attract new businesses, create jobs, improve access to quality healthcare and digital education while improving internally generated revenue.

It is also aligned with the ongoing development of the Ekiti Knowledge Zone, designed to be Nigeria’s first service based Innovation Park.

Meanwhile, Fayemi has warned criminals to steer clear of the state or face the consequences.

The governor gave the warning while receiving the Commissioner for Agriculture, Folorunsho Olabode, who recently regained freedom from his abductors, and leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from Ilejemeje Local Government, who were on a thank you visit to his office following Olabode’s release.

Dr. Fayemi, who said he was happy to see Olabode regain freedom, noted that henceforth, the state would be no hiding place for criminals, as the government would beef up security to ensure safety of the citizens.

He restated his commitment to ensure security of lives and property.

The governor condoled with the Ilejemeje community on the death of the leader of Ilejemeje Local Government, who was killed by the hoodlums during the abduction.

He said that the government would work out a plan to support the bereaved family.

A member of the House of Assembly representing Ilejemeje Constituency, Tope Ogunleye, on behalf of the community, thanked the government for its prompt response, which led to the release of the commissioner.

Olabode, who spent over a week in the kidnappers’ den, thanked Governor Fayemi and the citizens, as well as the security agencies for his release.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.
Tags

Victor Akande

Victor Akande, a blogger by profession for the past 7 years. He studied Mathematics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Contact: +2348053316946 Twitter: @Newsflash2471

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

five + two =

Back to top button
Close
Close