Local News

BREAKING: Three Killed, Monarch’s Vehicles Set Ablaze In Ekiti Over Traditional Festival

Newsflash247 gathered that the traditional ruler and his council had earlier passed a resolution that the 2020 Ogun Festival in the town won't be celebrated elaborately because of COVID-19 and adherence to its protocols.

Angry youths on Monday, August 10, attacked the palace of Onire of Ire Ekiti in Oye Local Government Area of Ekiti State, Oba Bobade Adeleke, after the monarch invited security operatives to prevent them from holding Ogun Festival due to COVID-19.

Newsflash247 gathered that the traditional ruler and his council had earlier passed a resolution that the 2020 Ogun Festival in the town won’t be celebrated elaborately because of COVID-19 and adherence to its protocols.

It was further gathered that this resolution didn’t go down with his subjects especially the youth, who subsequently attacked the palace and chased out the monarch.

A source said that about three people were killed during the fracas, while several others were wounded, Sahara Reporters reports.

The vehicles belonging to the traditional ruler were also set ablaze during the incident.

Recall that the Ekiti State governor, Kayode Fayemi, had banned all the traditional festivals such as Annual Egungun, (Masquerade) festival, Ogun, (god of Iron) festival, Yam festival and celebration of Annual Cultural Days, by various towns among others in the state pending to curb the spread of Coronavirus.

The governor also directed traditional rulers in towns and villages to either postpone or cancel for the rest of the year, all pending local festivals in their domains to curb the spread of Coronavirus.

The State Coordinator of COVID-19 Task Force Response Team, Prof Bolaji Aluko, made the announcement in a statement in Ado Ekiti.

NEWS: VIDEO: Yahoo boys have become role models in Nigeria society – Ex-Minister

He disclosed that Ekiti State had cumulatively recorded 78 positive Coronavirus cases, with 29 active, 2 deaths, and 47 discharged, warning that the cases can rise dramatically if public assemblies continued unchecked.

He said as the state was gradually entering the full blown season of Traditional Festival, therefore, travels from within Ekiti State and various parts of Nigeria by indigenes and visitors to the various towns and villages during this period of the pandemic had started to occur.

According to him, the attendant incidents of virus transmission in these crowded and boisterous situations, where social distancing is practically impossible, and mask wearing, which is also required, may be impractical for prolonged times.

” Consequently, the wise course is to seriously discourage these festivals at this time.

“In fact, they are effectively banned by current government guidelines requiring social distancing and limited-number assemblies.

” Therefore, we are appealing to all Obas, Council Chairmen, Councillors and community leaders for the cancellation of the public celebration of all upcoming festivals and cessation of ongoing ones in all part of Ekiti until further notice.

” These festivals should be observed in the quietness of homes. Some Obas have already been commendably proactive and announced cancellation for the rest of the calendar year,” he said.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Download the latest version of Newsflash247 Android App.

Victor Akande

Victor Akande, a blogger by profession for the past 7 years. He studied Mathematics at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka Contact: +2348053316946 Twitter: @Newsflash2471

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− two = one

Back to top button